NOTE: This course is presented utilizing the latest in ECDIS technology using the TRANSAS Navi-Sailor 3000i which is fully integrated with AIS, SSAS, Radar overlays, all bridge and engine room functions. The course may be modified to suit a particular need of the customer such as an abbreviated 2-day program specific to the TRANSAS Navi-Sailor 3000i equipment. It must be noted that any modifications to the course to suit a specific need results in presentation of a non-Coast Guard approved version of the course and will not meet any IMO/USCG STWC requirements.
Because ECDIS systems and MMIs (Man-Machine Interfaces) are in an ongoing process of evolution, a functional approach, not a product-oriented approach, is aimed at. As ECDIS is part of a complex system (including sensors, track control, etc.), complex training based on a variety of functionality's and potential problems are promoted.
The theoretical aspects like all major characteristics of ECDIS data such as data contents and all major characteristics of the display of ECDIS data will be covered in sufficient depth.
For practical capabilities and skills, exercises are performed which will provide practice in setting up and maintaining an ECDIS display, in planning and monitoring a route, in using basic navigational functions and equipment in a real-time navigational environment, in activating updates and in performing proper actions which are necessary for a safe navigational watch.
Any applicant who successfully completes the course will:
- Be considered to have successfully demonstrated the competence Plan and Conduct a Passage and determine Position: Through Knowledge of and Ability to Use ECDIS of Table A-II/1of the Seafarers' Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code; AND
- Be considered to have successfully demonstrated the competence Determine Position and the Accuracy Resultant Position Fix: Position Determination Using ECDIS With Specific Knowledge of its Operating Principles. Limitations, Sources of Error, Detection of Misrepresentation of Information and Methods of Correction to Obtain Accurate Position Fixing of Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code.
The course is designed for mariners employed on vessels equipped with modern ECDIS navigation systems but contains valuable information and practical exercises for those who have simple ECD only systems. The course is also of value to individuals who require a knowledge of electronic navigation and charting procedures.
Topics covered in the course include:
- Introduction to ECDIS, legal aspects and req
- IMO requirements and performance
- ECDIS input devices
- Chart displays
- ECDIS system and features
- Simulation excersises